Florida may not be the first state that comes to mind when thinking about ice hockey, as it is not known for its cold weather or snowy winters. However, the sport is still thriving in the Sunshine State, with a number of high schools fielding competitive hockey teams.
While there are many high schools in Florida that offer hockey programs, here are 20 schools that stand out as some of the best in the state:
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School – Parkland
- Barron Collier High School – Naples
- East Lake High School – Tarpon Springs
- Jesuit High School – Tampa
- Newsome High School – Lithia
- Palmetto High School – Palmetto
- Seminole High School – Sanford
- Gulf Coast High School – Naples
- Estero High School – Estero
- Cypress Bay High School – Weston
- Countryside High School – Clearwater
- Mitchell High School – New Port Richey
- St. Thomas Aquinas High School – Fort Lauderdale
- Spruce Creek High School – Port Orange
- Venice High School – Venice
- Cypress Lake High School – Fort Myers
- Boca Raton High School – Boca Raton
- Pine Crest School – Fort Lauderdale
- Miami Dade Christian School – Miami
- Olympic Heights Community High School – Boca Raton
These schools are not listed in any particular order and represent a mix of large and small schools from all over the state. Some have established programs with long histories of success, while others are newer to the sport but have quickly become competitive.
When evaluating these schools, several factors were taken into account, including the quality of the facilities, the level of competition they face, the strength of their coaching staff, and the success of their teams in recent years.
It is worth noting that hockey is not recognized as an official sport by the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA), so these teams often compete in leagues organized by local hockey associations or private organizations. This can lead to some variation in the level of competition they face and the rules they must follow.
In conclusion, while Florida may not be the first state that comes to mind when thinking about ice hockey, there are still many high schools in the state that offer competitive programs. The 20 schools listed above represent some of the best in the state and are worth considering if you are a student-athlete looking to play hockey at the high school level in Florida.